Thursday, June 23, 2005

General Update

1. The Doormats
Ahh. The doormat man apologized. Though he indicated that this is apparently approved behavior in the business world. Frankly, if it is, it shouldn't be. Hello? Isn't the point of business to get things done and make money? How is calling people names an effective way to move toward that point? Or any other.

But I digress, as usual. I know that doormat man and I are on the same page, as we both want to clarify roles and get things done. And that's a good place to be. Neither one of us are doormats, apparently.

For all that I regularly participate in conflict, I do not enjoy it. Felt a palpable sense of relief on seeing his addy in my inbox.

2. Summertime
And the living is ea-sy. No fish. No cotton. But the gas prices are high. ;-) We are just riding the slow river of no school right now. Bouncing along each day, letting it take us where it may.God, we are so lucky.

Annie's in the midst of playoffs, so that is dominating our evenings. I can think of worse ways to spend my twilight hours, watching these girls smack the ball around and cheer each other on. During the day, she's at the pool or the library or a movie or IMing friends or busy being bored.

Jonathan's writing and reading. Which would be his idea of a perfect day unless, of course, he could have unlimited screen time.

And me? I'm working hard at working out, as I've committed to losing 20 lbs by the end of the year. I'm not a dieter. I don't believe dieting is healthy. But I'm paying attention to eating when I'm hungry only, and keeping healthy food in the house.

I'm into a new series of books: The Crown Journeys series. Just finished the Alex Kotlowitz book about Chicago. It's mostly a Chicago I don't know. I'm grateful to Kotlowitz for introducing me to it. And he's an Oak Parker, so you gotta love him. :-)

My deck petunias are gorgeous, a deep fuchsia that lights up my green, green yard. I love my yard, my shady tree-filled oasis. It is not as beautiful as so many are here in Oak Park. It is not well-planned or well-crafted. It is not "finished". But it's cool and quiet, even when the heat hits 90 and the neighborhood kids are shrieking. My cottonwood and maples drape the area with leafy whispers that cover a multitude of sins, sounds, and sweats.

God, we are so lucky.

Until tomorrow,
Liz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home