Sunday, October 23, 2005

Developmentally Delayed

My blogs are, that is. They aren't developing, to be precise.

Ladies and gentlemen, please stand by. Your blogger is experiencing cognitive difficulties due to a lack of oxygen in the brain. That would be lack of oxygen in my brain.

Perhaps I should back track. I am a woman. Hear me roar . . . . No, I am a woman. Which requires my body perform certain activities on a monthly basis. No, I speak not of sex, but of my menstrual cycle. Otherwise known as my period. Yes, queasy ones, now is when you should stop reading if you prefer to either pretend that this sort of thing doesn't happen, or simply prefer not to hear about it happening.

Because it's happening. Way too often. And way too. It's the way too part that's the problem. Lose blood. Lose iron. Lose oxygen. Lose brain. Probably a sweet mathematical equation to express it, were I capable of intellectual cogitation to determine it. But it's not happening right now.

Word loss. It's the first thing that goes on me when I'm anemic. I spend hours trying to describe a word. "It's the thing that's in front of a window, made of mesh, lets air in?" Ding ding ding ding, yes, screen! My crossword puzzles aren't a pretty sight right now.

Initiative also takes a dive. I'm not a procrastinator by nature, except with major household chores like regrouting the kitchen floor. But I can't seem to accomplish the briefest of to-do lists right now.

Logic? Also not so good. Sudoku? Gentle, I can manage. Diabolical? It's a bit masochistic on my part to even try them. I'll get to the last two quadrants and suddenly notice I have three 3s in one row. Like I said, not so good.

It's an odd kind of fatigue, being iron-deficient. My head is far more tired than the rest of my body. It's like a low-lying fog in reverse. I'm a skyscraper with my head stuck up in the rain clouds while my body thinks the weather is pretty good. Then, suddenly, it rains on all of me and I start shaking at the end of a workout.

So I'm off to the doctors again. Went through this last year at this time. Won't do the gory medical details. End result was a decision to avoid breaking and entering and just keep taking lots of iron. Seemed to work. Until I stopped taking lots of iron. Hmm. Even with my limited cognitive skills, I begin to see the problem . . . .

Anywho, there's my explanation for my inexplicable absence, for those inquiring minds among you who have wondered. Will try harder this week. :-)

Until tomorrow,
Liz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home