Saturday, September 27, 2008

Shortly: The Debate

First, true confessions. I didn't actually see the debate. I was busy with a birthday party and a concert. I saw parts of it, read parts of it, watched and listened to quite a bit of analysis of it. But I didn't see it start to finish. Which I really don't think should keep me from expressing an opinion about it.

After all, thousands of people call talk radio every day to discuss topics that they have no personal knowledge of. They complain about the derelict morality in a movie they haven't seen, disrespect religions about which they know nothing, and pontificate about the economy when their home budget is non-existent, a sieve through which their money pours into credit card payments.

So I see no reason why I can't join the multitudes and express myself on a topic of which I really don't have enough information to comment reliably.

McCain lost the part where he couldn't pronounce "
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad." The President ought to be able to pronounce the name of the Iranian president.

McCain lost the part where he said, "I know the veterans. I know them well. And I know that they know that I'll take care of them. And I've been proud of their support and their recognition of my service to the veterans. And I love them. And I'll take care of them. And they know that I'll take care of them." Numerous pundits have pointed out the obvious here: Republicans in general and McCain in particular has been anything but friendly toward our veterans, continuously taking away vet healthcare funding.

Obama won the part where he stayed calm, focused and presidential. McCain lost the part where he made flip comments. Obama won the part where he actually attempted to look his opponent in the eye. McCain lost the part where he acted like a jerk and refused to look at or address Obama.

No, McCain didn't blow the campaign in one swell foop. But he did himself no favors last night.

Off to visit with a friend and eat apples. :-)

Liz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home