Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Back to Business

That Sam. Stand up kind of guy, wouldn't you say? Geez. I thought the Bush administration picked this guy as the Conservative's Conservative for SCOTUS. Yet now he's trying to backtrack on his abortion stance. Please. I'd have more respect for you if you just told it like it is, Judge, Alito, instead of trying to sidestep your beliefs. What a wuss, telling Feinstein that he's now "a wiser person" with "a better grasp and understanding about constitutional rights and liberties,". And that he won't let his personal beliefs interfere.

And there's more. "I was an advocate seeking a job; it was a political job and that was 1985. I'm now a judge, I've been on the circuit court for 15 years and it's very different. I'm not an advocate, I don't give heed to my personal views, what I do is interpret the law."

So, how would one tell the different between his personal beliefs about Constitutional law and his legal convictions regarding how one would interpret Constitutional law? And wouldn't one lean heavily on one's legal convictions in applying for a legal job, albeit 20 years ago? So couldn't one reasonably assume that one was talking about one's legal convictions that would impact how one would interpret the law on a legal job application?

This one would.

This whole thing makes me want to puke (though that could also be due to the birth control pills I'm taking in an attempt to stop bleeding profusely). If you're going to be a radical conservative, at least have the guts to stand up and say so. Don't hide in an attempt to get approved. That's weenie and wussy. And it's a lie.

Oh. Forgot while I've been on my sabbatical. That's what conservatives do these days--mislead, act like weenies, and lie. So, I guess, in his own way, Alito is acting in an appropriate fashion for a Radical Conservative.

And it's understandable, why those radical conservatives are acting like such weenies these days. The numbers are against them. So they're left with lying and misleading as methods for accomplishing their goals. Of course, that suits them well, as the Rovian Republicans have been using those methods throughout the entire Bush administration.

But the current numbers make it even more enticing for the Radical Conservatives to hide their anti-abortion absolutes. 56 percent nationwide described themselves as pro-choice, compared to 38 percent who said they were pro-life. And a Pew poll showed 61 percent surveyed were against overturning Roe v. Wade. Hmm. Guess the only way to get Alito up on that High Court is to lie about his legal convictions.

Senator Kennedy said, in response to Alito's backpedaling, "And so I asked him, 'Why shouldn't we consider the answers that you're giving today an application for another job?' " Mr. Kennedy said. Mmm hmm. How about we don't hire him, Senators?

Until tomorrow,
Liz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home