Friday, August 31, 2007

Friday's Feast

Appetizer
Who is the easiest person for you to talk to?

Tehra or Nancy or Ann. All are warm and always genuinely interested in what I have to say. And I've never felt judged by them, so I'm free to be me, flaws and all. What a gift. :-)

Soup
If you could live in any ancient city during the height of the quality of its society and culture, which one would you choose?

Tough question. There are so many fascinating ones from which to choose! I'm hemming and hawing as I imagine I'd be living as a woman, and there are few societies where being a woman would allow me to experience the best of any society's culture. I'm thinking ancient Ireland (early AD), under the Brehon law, where one of my favorite fictional sleuths, Sister Fidelma, lived. The earth was still wild, women had a modicum of power. And who could resist the temptation of living in a land where the makers of the law were required to be a chief, poet, historian, bishop professor of literature, professor of law, a noble, and lay vicar?

Salad
What is the most exciting event you’ve ever witnessed?

The birth of my kids. Or maybe the Michigan Marching Band emerging from the tunnel of Michigan Stadium. I sense a womb/vaginal theme here. Exciting doesn't have to mean good, I suppose. Watching the Twin Towers fall, one at a time, was exciting. In a terrifying way.

Main Course
If you were a celebrity, what would you do for a publicity stunt?

Advertise my latest movie by parasailing through the Gulf of Mexico, trailing an ad banner for said event across the sky while I show off my tanned and toned body to the masses.

Dessert

What do you consider the ideal age to have a first child?

Whatever age an individual needs to be to figure out that, generally speaking, you put your kids first without making them King of the Castle. Parents have a responsibility to do what's best for their kids. It doesn't get to be all about you anymore. Some people have achieved enough personal growth to do that at 18. Some people never ever get there.

And let me note freely that I'm judgmental of parents who think they've put their kids first by giving them whatever they want whenever they want it, a buying off of the next generation through things bought or power given, not time spent and ethics instilled. Is that related to age? Nope. Just my little extraneous nugget of parenting pontification. ;-)

Liz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home