Saturday, June 07, 2008

Back in the saddle?

I've been told by several friends, in no uncertain terms, that I need to start writing again. Though not having a huge people-pleasing complex, I would like to comply. Yet summer has never been my best writing season. No routine. Too much progeny in the immediate area. Halcyon days and gently rustling evenings. All pull me away from the computer.

And, really, can you blame me? Even in its current motley state, my back yard is invitingly verdant. It's been storming on and off all day, leaving the trees and hostas a rich green that only early summer wears. Who wants to stare at fonts and words and think when you can daydream and drift or even enjoy being fully present? Not I, said the little red hen.

But a bit of discipline is good for me. So here I am, typing instead of reading or gazing or knitting. Carl is watching a music video--and you know I don't mean VH1, right? I think it's Elisabeth Schwarzkopf. He is reveling in a bit of extra time now that our new Cantor has arrived, freeing him from church work somewhat.

Jon is, unsurprisingly, playing a video game. He plays altogether too many of them for my tastes. At 20, I don't choose to exercise much control over that any more. He needs to find his own path. I am, however, putting him to work in the house this summer. He (and Annie) will be cooking one dinner per week, in addition to doing a couple of loads of laundry a week. Responsibility and pitching in are good things.

Annie is on a date. In a car. That she drove. With a boy in it. It's a whole new world, having a 16 year old who became a licensed driver just today. She is thrilled to have a license, which is sweet to see, as she's had a pretty lousy spring. I hope she will have a relaxing summer that renews her spirit and fills her with a bit of joy.

Speaking of a renewed spirit, I find my obsession with politics newly piqued due to Clinton's speech today. It's about time the Hillary I used to admire showed up. She convincingly both pledged her full support to Obama and pleaded with her supporters to do so. She argued forcefully for a united party of Democrats to fight for feminism, universal health care, and an end to the war.

Clinton said, "Life is too short, time is too precious, and the stakes are too high to dwell on what might have been. We have to work together for what still can be. And that is why I will work my heart out to make sure that Senator Obama is our next President and I hope and pray that all of you will join me in that effort."

For all we might have kidded ourselves in the heat of the primary battles, John McCain is no choice at all for those who care about civil rights and liberties, the lives of Americans and Iraqis, and the health and welfare of the poor and middle class of our country. Can we fix what is wrong with the US? Yes, we can.

Have a lovely evening,
Liz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home